$1,000 scholarship for high school journalism senior deadline March 9
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
The Oregon Newspaper Foundation will be selecting three journalism scholarship recipients of $1,000 each. One of the three scholarships will be awarded to high school seniors and the other two will go to college students currently in their freshman, sophomore or junior year. Deadline for the application is March 9, 2012.
The Oregon Newspaper Foundation assists with the development of journalism and advertising education programs, provides financial aid to students and sponsors or funds continuing education programs for Oregon journalists and journalism educators. ONF was incorporated in 1978 as a tax-exempt organization to increase the scope of involvement with journalism education and research.A person applying for an Oregon Newspaper Foundation scholarship must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25
- Be enrolled full time in an Oregon high school or college and participating in its school newspaper.
- Be committed to pursue a career in journalism
- Write a 250-word autobiographical piece describing interest and experience in journalistic endeavors.
- Write a 300-word essay on how the recipient would apply the learning financed by the scholarship toward a career in journalism, including short and long-term goals. Please also include how the scholarship will affect your financial ability to complete your degree.
- Submit two letters of recommendation, one from a teacher and one from a person familiar with the applicant’s commitment to journalism.
- Submit a resume.
- Submit a college or high school transcript, dating from first college or high school experience through the present.
Please mail application and all necessary documentation to: ONF Scholarship, 7150 SW
Hampton St. STE 111, Portland, OR 97223.
*Deadline for applications: March 9, 2012